Thursday, February 28, 2013

Mixtape Chicago

Rachel here.

So I feel sort of guilty for not keeping up on this blog. I have kind of been focusing on my twitter    (https://twitter.com/chioffthegrid ) game lately. It is legit hard to keep up with both, on top of a podcast, and then on top of an actual job that I moderately take seriously.

Anyhow, I stumbled across something pretty cool and I wanted to share. It's called Elephant Mixtapes.
So basically, a guy makes 10 mixtapes every month and hides them around Chicago. He puts up clues on his website http://elephantmixtapes.com and your mission is to find the tapes. Once you find a tape, you take it home, light some candles, put the tape in the cassette player, get into a bubble bath, soak in all the musical goodness (and bubbles), get out of said bubble bath, make a copy for yourself, and then make a new mix and hide it somewhere else, for someone else to find and enjoy.

I don't know about you, but I think this is a pretty cool idea and a cool way to listen to new music and spread the music you enjoy to others.  I really like making mix CD's for people. Ricky and I both like sharing with others the music that we like. It is a big part of my life.  That is why I was so excited when I actually found one of the tapes earlier today.  Yes, I found one of the Elephant Mix Tapes!

check out this picture of my mixtape via my Instagram page MY ELEPHANT MIXTAPE, YO

If you're totally uncool, you may say mixtapes are outdated. Okay, you're probably right. In fact, yes, yes you are right. But up until recently I was still making them because my car only had a tape deck (and a car phone. That's right, my 1994 Toyota Camry had a mother f*cking car phone, get over it).  I had no CD player, therefore I had no choice.  But there is just something nostalgic and cool about making mixtapes.

So, check out the elephant man's website and start looking for those mixtapes.  You will be glad you got to hear some new music and make a mix of your own.

P.S. Ricky and I recorded a new podcast last night and it will be up in a few days. It's going to be great, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment